10.25.2010

Running Rampart

I am racing against myself right now. It's kind of creepy.

That's not meant to sound as cheesy as it has to, tho. And I certainly don't mean it literally. Honestly, I don't mean it at all. :p
I only mean what it is meant to convey: a pen stroke within the message within the bottle. You know there are psychological readings of hand writing, right? Something like that.

I don't even know what it means to run against oneself, or how to tell if you're winning, or if winning even matters at that point. I feel like if you're racing against yourself, there are better questions to ask than "who's ahead, and by how far?"

I'm getting good at this. I've started a train of thoughts here. So, before they continue, I want to warn you, the reader, especially if you are me, the writer/reader:

I haven't slept.
I ate.
I'm not in one of my "thinky" moods, but I'm definitely in a "roooooll with it" mood.
I am 100% sober.
I'm going to type thoughts as they appear, in the order they deserve.
I like messing with people. =)

Now, I can start.

Race. You vs You. Who wins?

If you're ahead of yourself, would that mean you finish early, and is "finishing" a metaphor for reaching a goal, or is it death?

Let's say I AM "racing against myself right now." I can only be one of two of one person/people.: myself ahead, or myself behind.

If I am myself, ahead, I'm outpacing my own growth, which could be a good thing. Nothing wrong with being ahead of the curve. After all, Monday's work, completed Sunday, is either a Monday off or a lazy Tuesday, or a productive Tuesday and a lazy Wednesday, or any other combination of either present joy for future work, or vice versa.

And so "losing" would have to be the exact opposite. Being behind, I mean. If I'm behind on Monday, I'll have to work extra hard Tuesday, or Wednesday (plus Tuesday's work) and so on, compiling all of the forgone productive days' work into the present.

Sudden thought:

There has to be 3 of me. The middle man. The one who's on pace and not a step ahead, behind, or even side...but maybe sideways*. Sideways wouldn't hurt the flow...

Sideways is like...Mac or PC for web browsing. However you do it, as long as you're not on Firefox, you're essentially just web browsing.

But, anyway...this third guy. Let's say this race is life. Not because I have any type of interest in dying early, or late for that matter; but, because I figure if you're gonna die, you're gonna do it on time. *laugh*

That was funny to me, sorry.

But, anywho, you're going to die...when you die. No matter how you think about it.

So, back to the original point.

"I am racing against myself right now. It's kind of creepy."

It doesn't really matter whether I'm ahead, behind, or right on time.

The "ahead" guy will, eventually, have to cash in the rest he earned. Let's say he's 730 days, 2 years, "ahead" of his life, having completed literally everything up until the
"finish line." So, he's there, but the middle dude is 730 days worth of stuff away, so he just sits there for 730 "real" days (real, in teh economic sense) and then dies.

The "behind" dude, let's say, is 1,095 days, 3 years behind (I'm choosing these numbers because I'm having fun doing the multiplication in my head.) Once he gets to the last 3 years of stuff, he'll have to zoom to the finish. No choice, because no matter what, he has to finish...when he's finished. ;)

And, of course, the middle guy, being the "control" finishes right on time at average speed (total stuff / lifespan.)

So, who won the race?

No comments: